The Government’s initiative in the mid seventies to establish new seats of learning to spur medical education and research in Pakistan helped to materialize the aspirations of the teachers to open new vistas for community oriented medical education. Consequently this institution was established on May 2, 1975 as LAHORE MEDICAL COLLEGE.
Prof. Dr. Akhtar Hussain Awan was the first Principal when the College started functioning at Birdwood Road. Dr. Muhammad Afzal Sheikh was the first Professor of Anatomy while Prof. Dr. Mahmood Ali Malik and late Prof. Dr. Abdul Ghaffar laid the framework of the Physiology Department. Dr. Sanaullah was the first Administrative Officer leading an able team comprising Mr. Mian Nazir Ahmed, Mr. Zeeshan Awan and Mr. Mirza Muhammad Jamil.
On August 12th 1975, a batch of three hundred and thirteen students began their first academic day of what were to become the glorious traditions of a great institution. Two years later, the College was renamed Allama Iqbal Medical College to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the great philosopher.
Although the odds were unfavorable in the beginning, but by the grace of Allah and the painstaking efforts made by students and staff, the college progressed by leaps and bounds and has proved its worth in this very era of competition. It was housed temporarily in a borrowed inadequate building with meager Audio Visual teaching aids at the Post-Graduate Medical Institute, Birdwood Road, Lahore. The space was so limited that two shifts of teaching and practical classes were held to accommodate all the students. Soon the renovation and expansion was taken in hand to make breathing space for the medical graduates, a closed circuit TV system and a few electric gadgets were added to improve the teaching system but these efforts remained inadequate because of large number of students studying in this college.
Meanwhile, in 1980, the final plan for Allama Iqbal Medical College Complex was agreed upon and its foundation stone was laid in March 1980. 1985 marks the era of evolution in the history of Allama Iqbal Medical College when Prof. S.A.R. Gardezi took over as Principal of the college. He took the challenge of gigantic task of constructing the Allama Iqbal Medical Complex in a befitting manner in the shortest possible time. With the sanction of Rupees 670 millions out of which Rupees 370 millions were for the building and Rupees 300 millions were for the equipment, the work on the construction of the campus started. The college complex was inaugurated by the then President Ghulam Ishaq Khan on 18th May 1989. The work on 1100 bedded Jinnah Hospital started in 1988.
Initially the Services Hospital was affiliated with AIMC, but later as the College moved into its present campus in 1990, Jinnah Hospital was built as a dedicated teaching hospital. The Hospital started functioning in 1994, when the OPD was opened. Soon the department of Radiology, Radiotherapy and Pathology started working. The emergency and casualty department was opened to public on March 23rd 1995 and the Diabetes Clinic was started on May 28th 1995.
Jinnah Hospital was officially inaugurated on Feb. 2, 1996 by the then Prime Minister, Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto reflecting the importance which the Government attaches to the provision of health opportunities to the community.
Today Allama Iqbal Medical College Complex has a vast beautiful campus, spread over an area of 103 acres on the canal comprising the basic departments, administrative block, library and fountain pavilion, well equipped modern lecture theatre complex and cafeteria. It provides residential facility for 1000 medical students, 200 internees, 500 nurses and a colony comprising 200 houses for the employees.
For the purpose of extra- and co-curricular activities, a sports complex including separate gymnasiums for boys and girls, swimming pool, tennis courts, hockey and cricket grounds, and an elegant auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000 have also been built.
This illustrious Complex is meeting with all the requirements of the students of Allama Iqbal Medical College at under- and post-graduate levels and a large number of patients are benefiting from it as it provides treatment in all major fields of medicine. With the co-operation of the government, and the dedication of our teachers and the commitment of our students, we intend to become the center of excellence in service for the community.